Middle East and North Africa
Top 5 Reasons Students choose UAlberta
Canada's National Institute for Nanotechnology is on UAlberta's main campus.
We are home of the Edmonton Council of Muslim Communities (ECMC) Chair in Islamic Studies—the first endowed chair devoted to Islamic studies in Canada.
UAlberta's Campus Saint-Jean is Western Canada's only French-language university campus, allowing you to complete your degree in French or earn a bilingual (French and English) degree.
We offer leading programs related to the oil and gas industries, including Earth & Atmospheric Sciences and Petroleum Engineering. As Canada's Energy province, Alberta is a great place to pursue your studies in these areas!
The Department of Middle East & African Studies, which offers inter- and multi-disciplinary work that focuses on these two regions.
Activities to feel closer to home
- Join a student group:
- Get involved with Edmonton’s cultural and religious associations:
- Try one of Edmonton's shisha cafés: Habesha Cuisine, The Sultan Palace.
- Visit Edmonton's Middle Eastern supermarkets: Lebanese Pita Bakery, Medina Market , El Safadi Bros Grocery , Al-Noor Halal Foods Meat & Grocery, Alberta Halal Foods, Millwoods Grocery & Halal Meat Meat/Grocery/Deli, Ibrahim's Halal Meats & Deli, El Jobel Food & Gifts, Paradiso,Westgate Halal Meat & Deli, and more.
- Search for these groups and pages on Facebook:
- UofA Muslim Students' Association
- Arabs in Edmonton
- Edmonton Arabzzz
- Arabs of UofA
- Muslim Community of Edmonton (MCE)
- Muslims of Alberta
- Palestine Solidarity Network - Edmonton
- CFF Club de Foot Francophone
Arab Performances on YouTube
Watch these lively performances from the Arab Pavilion at Edmonton’s Heritage Festival, an annual celebration of Canada's diversity. Watch these YouTube videos of past lively performances:
UAlberta agreements with the Middle East & North Africa
United Arab Emirates
- Military Attaché Office, Washington DC – Postgraduate Training Agreement for Postgraduate Medical Students
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- KSA Cultural Mission in Canada – Postgraduate Training Agreement for Postgraduate Medical Students
- King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals– Memorandum of Cooperation
- King Saud University – Memorandum of Cooperation
- Ministry of Higher Education – Memorandum of Cooperation
- Kuwait University – Memorandum of Agreement, Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research
- Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research in partnership with UNESCO) – Memorandum of Understanding (Multi-lateral Cooperation for the Teacher Training Network of Iraq – TTNI)
- University of St. Joseph, Beirut – Memorandum of Understanding, Campus St. Jean
- Ministry of Higher Education – Collaborative Agreement for a Research & Scholarship Program, Faculty of Graduate Studies & Research
- Ahram Canadian University – Memorandum of Understanding, Faculty of Pharmacy
Admissions Information for Middle East & North Africa
- Accepted local curricula:
- Egypt: General Secondary Education Certificate
- Iran: Diplom (Year 12) and Pre-University Certificate
- Iraq: Sixth Form Baccalaurea
- Jordan: Tawjihiya (General Secondary Education Certificate)
- Kuwait: Shahadat al-Thanawia
- Lebanon: Baccalauriat Part 11 or Baccalaureate (academic stream)
- Morocco: Baccalaureat
- Oman: General Secondary School Certificate
- Saudi Arabia: General Secondary Education Certificate
- United Arab Emirates: Shahadat al-Thanawia
- Information on IB, AP, GCE, & SAT
- English language proficiency exemptions: Certain Middle Eastern schools are exempt from the English language proficiency requirements. See English Language Proficiency.
- French language proficiency: Required for applicants to programs offered at Campus Saint-Jean, UAlberta's French language faculty. See French Language Proficiency.